Monday, September 9, 2013

How a $10 DVD set led me to watch what is now one of my favorite shows, ever!

I really love to watch TV series on DVD. There is something about that instant gratification of getting to watch the next episode, NOW!!!

Back in December of 2010, I came across a DVD set of season 1 and season 2 of Dawson's Creek for $10. I spend that much on two lattes, so it was a done deal for me. After the Pacey/Teacher thing was over, I was drawn to Pacey. In fangirl fashion, I "researched" this Joshua Jackson who was the actor that played Pacey. I found that he was Peter Bishop on a Fox tv show called Fringe. I found that age had treated JJ well, and I set the DVR to record.

Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop
The very first episode I watched was titled The Firefly, and I was a bit confused as to what was going on in the show. My fangirl research turned up that the showrunner, Joel Wyman, was live tweeting with the fans. I stay tuned for the west coast airing and followed the tag, but I didn't say anything. I followed conversations, and started following and tweeting the fans of the show. I made a lot of Fringe friends quickly. Over the next couple of months I acquired and watched both previous seasons. I was hooked! I watched the Fringe DVD's multiple times, and tweeted like crazy! From that point forward I was a Fringe fan for life.

I had a Fringe fan twitter and tumblr account (which I later deleted in a moment of insanity). These were a necessity during our Fringe twitter campaigns, led by @Fringenuity. I have a Fringe shirt on my favorite things blanket, and I even created a Fringe inspired mirror with my GetGlue stickers. I still use this mirror today.

Bishop & Son t-shirt is now on my t-shirt rag quilt. :)
#whereispeterbishop
Fringe brought me closer to people on twitter, and in real life. It wasn't just a tv show for me. Fringe was a life experience that I will never forget.

I am ever thankful that I spent that $10 on those Dawson's Creek DVDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment